Wednesday, August 27, 2008


This photo brings to mind a lot of memories for me as I am sure it does for some of you. My grandfather grew tobacco. I never had to help prepare the plant bed but I pulled plants, set plants, and at the end of the year I helped strip the tobacco, my grandfather always insisted on tying my hands. A hand is basically a handful of tobacco, as you would get a strip the leaves from the stalk and had handful you would stop and use a leaf to tie the leaves together into a hand. My grandfather was very particular about the look of the hand so he always tied mine. This is the time of the year that those farmers still growing tobacco will cut it and put it in the barn to cure. If anyone else has memories of working in tobacco, especially with Garnet I would love to read them. -Cyndi

No comments: